When looking for the best medical mattress to buy, it is essential to know that medical mattresses are quite different from regular mattresses. Patients lie down on these mattresses for long periods of time. Thus, these mattresses should be highly effective in reducing stress from pressure points to prevent bed sores and pressure ulcers. Hospital beds have a lot of adjustments features that allow the bed’s positions to be changed at the head and the foot. Even the bed’s height is adjustable to suit the needs of different patients. Medical mattresses are, therefore, specially designed to accommodate these adjustments. Also known as hospital mattresses or therapy mattresses, medical mattresses should be easy to clean and maintain as these mattresses tend to get spoiled quickly.
Depending on the requirement, the best medical mattresses are available in different variants based on size, material, and technology used in the market. Here are some of the popular and the best medical mattresses to buy right now.
- Invacare Deluxe Innerspring Mattress 5185- This medical mattress has an 11-ounce vinyl cover that is waterproof, resistant to acid, antibacterial, and anti-static. The mattress is, thus, easy to clean and maintain. The inside of the mattress has 312 coils of high quality. These coils give a firm support to the body and evenly distributes the body weight. This ensures that there is no stress on the pressure points and that the patient can sleep comfortably. The mattress has the capacity to support 250 pounds. This mattress is suitable for use in nursing homes, home care facilities, as well as hospitals. The price of this mattress is around $280.
- Medline High-Performance Fiber Mattress- If you are looking for a light-weight and one of the best rated medical mattresses to buy, Medline’s fiber mattress is a good option. With an overall weight of 250 lbs., this is quite a light mattress compared to most spring mattresses. That is because the mattress is made from thin fibers and not from springs. The exterior has a vinyl cover that is waterproof and is quite easy to clean in case of leaks and spills. The mattress has an inner seam that takes off the stress from the pressure points and lowers the risk of pressure sores. This mattress is completely safe for patients who are allergic to latex as no latex has been used in the making of this mattress. The weight capacity of the mattress is 250 lbs. and its price is around $160.
- Graham Field Homecare Mattress– With a price of around $190, this medical mattress from Graham Field is a good choice if looking for an economical and the best medical mattress to buy in today’s market. The mattress is vented and reversible. The exterior has a Sure-Chek cover that is antimicrobial, hypo-allergenic, and anti-static. It is resistant to fluids, stains, and flames. It is easy to clean and meets the needs of different patients. Thus, it is suitable for use at home as well as hospitals and nursing homes. The weight capacity of this mattress is 350 lbs. It is available in innerspring as well as foam variations. Extra-firm mattress versions are also available.
- Drive Medical’s Quick ‘N Easy Comfort Mattress- Made of durable foam core, this medical mattress is waterproof and easy to use and maintain. The inside is made of polyurethane foam and gives the comfort of sleeping on a mattress made of latex rubber. However, no latex has been used in this mattress. Thus, it is hypo-allergic and perfectly safe for patients who are allergic to latex. The core of the mattress is covered in fire retardant; thus, it is resistant to flames. The mattress evenly distributes body weight and can decompress quite quickly so that there are no depressions in the mattress after long periods of lying down. The weight capacity of the mattress is 275 lbs. and its cost is around $180.
- Invacare Softform Premier Mattress- This heavy-duty medical mattress is one of the best medical mattresses to buy for bariatric patients. Made of a single U core foam, this mattress is quite durable. The foam has castellated cells that take off the stress from pressure points and lowers the risk of pressure ulcers. The foam is highly resilient and contours the patient’s body for better comfort and fit. The mattress has side supports that allow easy patient transfers. The exterior has a removable cover that is resistant to fluids and can be easily cleaned and laundered. Available in four variants, the price of this mattress ranges from around $450 to $750. Depending on the variant, the mattress can have a maximum weight capacity of 500 lbs. to 650 lbs.
- Span America PressureGuard APM2 Mattress: This is one of the best medical mattresses to buy. This air pressure mattress is built with a technology that ensures proper circulation. This helps in preventing break down of skin. It has four air cylinders of head-to-foot length that reduces pressures and enhances comfort. Using these cylinders, the mattress can work in two therapy modes—alternating pressure mode and a lateral rotation mode. Some models of the mattress come with a side-mounted switch to toggle between the two modes. Other models are available with digital control units. This mattress is suitable for home care as well as nursing homes and hospitals. The weight capacity of this mattress is 350 lbs. It is available in eight variants. The price can range from $1,500 to $4,000.