A gout is a painful form of arthritis that mostly affects knees, ankles, toes, and wrist. Gout occurs due to the rise of uric acid levels in the blood. When the body is unable to eliminate this excessive uric acid, it accumulates around a joint and transforms into hard crystals. Apart from causing pain, these hard crystals lead to severe inflammation around the joints. If appropriate measures are not taken, then gout can cause permanent joint damage in the long run.
Medical assistance is essential for gout treatment as it enlightens you about the severity of your case and guides you to take a systematic approach. But apart from taking medicines, you should strive to make some personal initiatives from your end. These will effectively help you manage your gout treatment and make the healing process faster. Here are some of the home remedies that you implement to keep your gout condition under control.
- Hydrate – One of the best ways of eliminating high levels of uric acid from the body is by drinking plenty of water. If you’re suffering from frequent gout flare-ups, then it is advised to have at least 8 to 10 glasses of water daily. Always remind yourself to hydrate throughout the day and don’t forget to carry a bottle of water everywhere you go.
- Dietary changes – The fluctuating levels of uric acid are directly related to the kind of foods you have. For instance, diets containing refined sugars, meat, saturated fat, high levels of purine, alcohol, etc. can aggravate gout attacks. For a useful gout treatment, it is mandatory to manage your eating habits smartly. Any form of carelessness, can spark the uric acid levels, and intensify the discomfort of gout attacks. Primarily, your diet should include fresh fruits and vegetables, low-fat dairy products, and a moderate level of starchy carbohydrates. If you seem to be confused about the best food options, seek the counsel of your doctor for customizing your diet plan. It is also important to remember that with regards to food, you need to be persistent to achieve quick results. Tend to approach it like a lifestyle, rather than treating it as a one-time remedy.
- Cold compression – At times gout attacks can result in high inflammation of the joints. If you are comfortable with ice, then you can try cold compressing the swollen joints several times of the day. You can lower the inflammation levels by applying it for ten to fifteen minutes.
- Rest – Gout is a kind of arthritis that mostly affects your toe, ankle or knee, which can cause severe problems in mobility. So, if your gout attack is critical, refrain from straining your leg, and focus on relaxing. If your doctor allows, you can take up low-stamina exercises. While you are resting, you can work on improving your dietary choices and hydration levels.
- Exercise – Most patients dealing with gout are overweight, which is why weight loss can be a useful remedy to alleviate gout attacks as it will minimize the strain your joints. But weight loss won’t happen overnight. For this strategy to succeed, you will need to commence workout sessions. Begin with low impact exercises, and as you develop muscle and bone strength with time, you can move on to advanced forms of training. Swimming, moderate cardio, slow cycling, simple aerobics, stretching, etc. are some of the exercises that you can try at home.
- Lemon juice – Having lemon juice diluted in a glass of water helps to reduce uric acid levels in the body, by restoring the overall pH balance in the body. You can use this citrus solution two to three times a day. If you prefer, combine it with a half teaspoon of baking soda, which also aids to control uric acids. However, in case you are tackling with high blood pressure, avoid baking soda or have it in moderate levels, as it has a high amount of sodium.
- Apple cider vinegar – One of the popular home remedies for gout treatment, apple cider vinegar aids in flushing the toxins, excess fluids as well as stabilizes the pH balance of the body. It disintegrates the hard crystals around the joint formed by uric acid. This enhances the movement of the joints by diminishing the inflammation levels. You can consume two to four tablespoons of ACV or dilute it in water. The best part about apple cider vinegar is that it can offer you with quick relief. However, it may project slow results for some patients.
- Essential oils – Used as a home remedy for several health issues, essential oils for gout treatment can be pleasing as well as practical. You can use these for massaging the stiffened joints. Essentials oils can significantly lower the swelling as well promote blood circulation in the affected area. Tea tree, rosemary, frankincense, birch, wintergreen, peppermint, etc. are some of the best essential oils for gout treatment.