A healthy breakfast is important for everybody, especially for people with diabetes. Eating a healthy breakfast has a fair share of health benefits, and skipping the same leads to some health issues. Even if blood sugar is high in the morning, a person with diabetes should not skip breakfast, as it increases the risk of insulin resistance and obesity. Additionally, having a bad breakfast can be a big mistake for a person with diabetes. To help people who have diabetes, here are some of the best diabetes diet breakfast ideas and mistakes to avoid.
Diabetes breakfast mistakes to avoid
Besides skipping breakfast, people with diabetes tend to make a few breakfast mistakes, especially when they wake up late and are left with no other option than to have a grab something unhealthy and go. Following are the most common mistakes of diabetes diet breakfast must avoid.
- Inadequate fiber intake: Fiber has loads of benefits to offer to diabetics; it lowers cholesterol, makes you feel full faster, and has zero impact on blood sugar. However, when you decrease your carb intake, your fiber intake automatically comes down. To avoid this, you can include fiber-rich food like high-fiber bread, apples, and fiber-rich oatmeal to your diabetes diet breakfast.
- Fruit juice over whole fruit: Many people, out of convenience, pick fruit juice over real fruit for their breakfast. However, this is not a good choice, as the juice is a less healthy option when compared to a whole fruit.The process of juice extraction removes all the natural fruit fiber, which has digestive benefits; it slows down the fruit sugar absorption and helps keep glycemic index low. Additionally, juices also destroy beneficial fruit compounds and antioxidants. A high intake of fruit juices is associated with childhood obesity, apart from resulting in an increased risk of diabetes.
- Inadequate protein intake: When you only have carbohydrates for breakfast, they digest quickly and increase blood sugar levels. On the other hand, if you include ample protein in your diabetes diet breakfast, it binds up with carbohydrates and together they take longer to digest and burn. Therefore, do not skip protein intake.
Ideal diabetes breakfast options
Living with diabetes requires you to make choices that help keep blood sugar levels low. For example, you have to make healthy breakfast choices, but they do not have to be bland and boring. You can eat a variety of foods that are healthy yet satisfying. Following are some of the best options for diabetes diet breakfast that you can consider.
- Hard-boiled eggs: Consider this breakfast option that is dependable for days when you do not have time to prepare a nice breakfast for yourself. You can even make some hard-boiled eggs for the entire week if you want. In fact, having six or fewer eggs in a week does no harm. It is even better if you buy the anti-inflammatory omega-3 rich eggs.
- Oatmeal: Oatmeal is another option for diabetes diet breakfast that you can relish several times a week. Oats have omega-3 fatty acids, folate, and potassium. They work wonders to reduce carbohydrates break down and absorption rate in the body. This helps to keep blood sugar levels in the body stable. To suit your taste and fulfill your requirement, you can pick rolled, steel-cut, or instant oats. You can also choose flavored oatmeal varieties, but keep in mind that most of them have sugar. To make your oatmeal breakfast delicious and more appealing, you can add a topping of chopped apples, strawberries, nuts, and seeds.
- Breakfast burrito: You can enjoy this yummy, filling, and quick-to-make breakfast easily on the go or while you are at home.Scramble an egg with onions in a nonstick skillet and add green peppers and spinach to it. Then place it in a whole-wheat tortilla, add some salsa, sprinkle nonfat cheddar cheese, and you have a healthy diabetes diet breakfast to munch.
- Diabetes-friendly smoothie: For a quick yet healthy morning meal, you can have a diabetes-friendly smoothie. The ones made using right ingredients provide the much-required nutritional boost without spiking blood sugar level. Some good base ingredients that you can choose for making a healthy smoothie for diabetes diet breakfast are apples, plain nonfat yogurt, fat-free milk, almond milk, strawberries, spinach, and avocados. For increasing the fiber content of the smoothies so that it promotes a feeling of fullness, you can add chia seeds, nuts, and flaxseeds as well.
Despite knowing that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, people tend to ignore their breakfast, as they simply do not know its importance. This is an unhealthy habit, especially for a diabetic person.They should educate themselves on mistakes related to diabetes diet breakfast and should try to avoid them to keep the disorder in check.