What is Prostate?
The prostate is a gland located between the bladder and the penis of a male body. The prostate is located in the front area of the rectum. The urethra travels through the penis and carries urine and semen out of the body through the prostate.
It is made up of several tiny glands having one function of producing semen. Semen is a fluid which not only protects the sperm but also provides the nourishment.
The prostate is a small gland almost about the size of a walnut, but as the man ages, the gland tends to enlarge. Excessively enlarged prostate results in an ailment called benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). Due to the enlarged prostate, the urethra restricts the flow of urine from the bladder. It can lead to several discomforts like difficulty in voiding, frequent urination, infections in the urinary tract and, urinary leakage.
Causes of Prostate Enlargement
Prostate enlargement is considered to be the most intractable disease as the cause of this disease is still not known. The treatments for prostate enlargement are not specific nor are the patients satisfied with the results of treatments. There has been a breakthrough in the medical world with the discovery of 3D Prostate Targeted Therapy; it is an advanced non-surgical process that helps to cure this disease. This method has no side effects, and the chances of recurrence are also negligible. It helps in curing several other ailments related to prostate like prostatitis, prostate cancer, prostate blockage, etc.
Treatment for Prostate Enlargement
There are multiple options available for the treatment of enlarged prostate. Consumption of blocker drugs such as terazosin (Hytrin) this relaxes the prostate muscles, or there is the option of antibiotics for dealing the issues of acute prostatitis (this usually occurs along with BPH). Consumption of finasteride (Proscar) or dutasteride (Avodart) to deal with the symptoms of BPH. However, one can opt for surgery to get rid of the enlarged prostate. The most common procedure for BPH is transurethral resection of the prostate (TURP).
Herbal Treatments for Prostate
There are several natural remedies available for the treatment of prostate; these remedies do not have any side effects and help in combating prostate enlargement.
- Saw Palmetto- This is an herbal remedy generating from the palm tree. It is an age-old practice to use this medicine to cure urinary disorders and also including the ones due to an enlarged prostate. It has been documented that saw palmetto does help to resort issues from BPH symptoms. The best benefit of this medicine that it does not have any side effects.
- Beta-sitosterol- This remedy is a mixture, derived from different plants containing an element called sitosterols that are similar to cholesterol. It has been documented that beta-sitosterol relieves in urinary tract diseases. This medicine also does not put the risk of any side effects.
- Pygem- Even this is an age-old remedy to cure urinary diseases. It comes from the plum fruit of an African tree. This is widely used in Europe to heal the BPH symptoms. This along with several other herbal remedies may help to lessen the number of visits to the toilets. It has however been noted that it could upset the stomach.
- Ryegrass Pollen Extract– This is a combination of three kinds of grasses- rye, timothy, and corn. This helps in completely passing the urine, so there is no urine left in the bladder, so the frequent visits to the toilet are cured. The problem of disturbed sleep due to regular use of the toilet is also done away with.
- Stinging nettle- The common European stinging nettle can cause sharp jolts of intense pain. However, this has medicinal use. Also, it can help to cure BPH. This along with pygeum or saw palmetto helps to combat prostate enlargement. However, it could result in side effects like skin rash or stomach upset.
Food that helps in treating BPH
Eating or avoiding some type of food items can work wonders to fight BPH; however, the severity of this ailment can be done away with the help of a healthy diet. Food items that are high in Vitamin C and zinc are helpful in preventing BPH and providing relief from its symptoms. Research also claims that consumption of a moderate amount of alcohol may even prove to be useful in curing BPH.
Over a decade the herbal and natural products have become the new trend. So while consuming any product that has been so termed, its recommendation from the concerned authorities should be checked. These herbal remedies should be taken under the guidance of a medical practitioner as they can lead to several side effects. You need to buy genuine and quality products to treat it, not fake ones which might cause some other problem in your body. So, Be Careful.