In most cases, food is the cause and cure of several medical conditions. People argue that diabetes is hereditary but that does not mean it isn’t inevitable. With proper diet and healthy lifestyle, genetic problems can be avoided. However, once a person is diagnosed with diabetes then they have to control it with medications, home remedies, and workout. Even though diabetes has no known cure, it can be managed well. There are many diabetic meal plans one can follow to remain fit and prevent the disease from getting worse.
Here are some foods that should be included in any diabetic meal plan to make it effective for the overall health of a person:
- Vegetables that are not starchy are good for diabetic patients as they have fewer carbohydrates per serving. So, foods like asparagus, broccoli, beetroot and other such vegetables are excellent to include in your diabetic meal plans.
- Vitamin D is essential for maintaining good health of the bones in one’s body. Healthy bones help people dealing with diabetes. So it is imperative to get enough sun exposure and increase the intake of dairy products.
- Tomatoes can be cooked or eaten raw. Either way, they prove to be great for a diabetic meal plan. They also reduce one’s risk of getting cancer and heart diseases.
- Berries, especially blueberries comprise high amounts of antioxidants and reduce heart and cancer-related risks.
- Citrus fruits including oranges can help numerous diabetic meal plans to work effectively because of their antioxidant content. It is even known to decrease the risk of acquiring diabetes.
- Ingredients rich in Omega-3 fatty acids such as wild salmon, mackerel, sardines and cod-liver oil lowers the risk of heart disease, which is a probable consequence of diabetes. Cod-liver oil is an excellent supplement of Omega-3 fatty acids but should be consumed only after having a word with the specialist.
- Walnuts, flaxseeds, almonds and other nuts contain magnesium, fiber, and Omega-3 fatty acids. Alpha-linolenic acid too is found in walnuts and that helps improve the functions of the heart.
- Some of the most nutritious foods by nature are beans. They contain high fiber and protein and for people who are vegetarians or vegans. There are other minerals too like magnesium and potassium. People with type-2 diabetes can benefit from beans as they control their glycemic levels. Consuming beans also reduces the risk of coronary heart disease.
- Leafy vegetables are recommended for everyone. They are the ultimate superfoods and must never be excluded from any diet plan. People with no health problems should never stop or reduce eating leafy green vegetables for they can prevent diseases such chronic diseases. Vitamin A and K are substantial in leafy vegetables and that is why dietitians and nutritionist always recommend these be included in all daily diets.
- Whole grains such as barley, lentils are filled with antioxidants as well as soluble and insoluble fibers. They improve the metabolism and keep the digestive system healthy. Regular consumption of barley lowers cholesterol. Eating whole grains lowers the risk of type-2 diabetes.
When diabetic meal plans are prepared, there is a count of calories that must be kept in mind. You must seek the counsel of a doctor or a dietician to ensure this. The following are some delicious but healthy recipes a diabetic can enjoy.
- Salmon dish with rice, summer squash, tropical fruit and salad
These ingredients are versatile and can be cooked in multiple healthy ways for a diabetic patient. This recipe is a perfect combination of proteins, carbohydrates, and vitamins.
- Spinach, quinoa, chicken drumsticks and peaches
This is a healthy diabetic meal and you can add other veggies too to make it taste good and increase the nutritious content as well.
- Simple vegetable soups
Soups are enjoyed by all and a vegetable soup can be one of the healthiest ways to start a diabetic meal plan. Along with the flavors, there are lots of vitamins and minerals a diabetic patient can benefit from.
- A vegetarian diet
Going vegetarian on some days of the week is a fantastic way to lead a healthy lifestyle. This will give the pancreas as well as the digestive system a rest. On such days, increase your intake of protein rich veggies.
A healthy diet must be followed by each person irrespective of health conditions. Diet and lifestyle is the primary reason for most health troubles including diabetes. Diabetes is also a cause of many other severe health complications and hence a proper diet should be followed especially after one is diagnosed to avoid other illnesses.